Wednesday, January 2, 2019

How Not To Fly Fixed Wing - Part 5




I'm aware it's odd to start a series of posts at part 5, but that's just how I am. Anyone that really knows me won't be surprised by my lack of linearity as I often back into stories. This morning I lost my FOURTH PLANE in half as many months. I live near the Harpeth River in a small neighborhood of about 300 or so homes. There is a nice walking trail with a very handy parking lot in the development. I've been flying planes out of the lot and I realized today the very handy parking lot has quite a few plane eating trees and I should not attempt to land near them.

This time of year the lack of leaves combined with the flat overcast light makes depth perception a real issue. The depth perception challenge was a contributing factor but the crash was avoidable. I was trying to land my favorite plane, an E-flite UMX Timber, and I had to go around due to a wind gust. The little UMX Timber makes you feel like a rock star pilot, when you're not, and I should have never attempted to land on the pavement beside the trees to begin with. When I had to abort the landing and go around I climbed up right into the top of a tree.

There are a few lessons here.

1.  I should walk away from the comfort of the parking lot and the tailgate of my truck when flying. If I'm not going to keep the plane in front of me at all times then I need the area behind me to be clear of obstacles.

2.  I should have maintained at least a thumbs height above the trees until landing in an area clear of trees.

3. If the wind is blowing the wrong way for a safe approach in the desired landing area then don't fly.

4. And last but not least, I shouldn't fly or land the plane behind me, if I do, I really should keep the plane in front of me at all times.

The situation stinks. The UMX Timber has been my go to plane for a few weeks because it's so easy to fly and I find the super short take offs to be a stress free alternative to the throw and pray method of launching. The resulting loss leaves me 120 dollars lighter and I don't have another working fixed wing aircraft to fly at the moment. :( Oh well, time to get cracking on sorting out the CC3D controller I have and get my Bixler 1.1 flying.

No comments:

Post a Comment